Become a Volunteer
Volunteers play an important role at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre. They enhance the programs and services we offer and assist staff in providing exceptional Patient and Family Centred Care (PFCC). Approximately 500 dedicated and loyal volunteers provide service in a number of different areas including reception, administration, greeting, patient care areas, and retail sales.
Click here to see a list of areas where volunteers make a difference at the Health Sciences Centre.
Please review all the steps before starting the application process. All steps will take a few weeks and must be completed before you begin service.
- Application Form: You may complete an online application form or pick up a Volunteer Application Package at Volunteer Services.
- References: Please provide two completed reference forms from two people that know you well, other than family members. or use the paper form included in the Volunteer Application Package.
- Interview: Interviews are held on a monthly basis. You will be contacted with interview dates and times.
- Enhanced Criminal Records Search: Volunteers over the age of 18 years who wish to volunteer in Paediatrics will be required to apply for a background search. Additional details will be provided during the interview.
- Health Screening: Volunteers are required to provide proof of 2-Step TB testing and current immunization dates. Additional details will be discussed during your interview.
- Orientation: Pending acceptance to the program, all volunteers complete Volunteer Orientation.
Currently we use a vendor in the United States to store our applicant information and to provide statistics to us. Personal information contained on our application form is collected pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, FIPPA, 2012, and will be used for the purpose of volunteer selection and placement at the Health Sciences Centre. We will not share this information otherwise without permission from the applicant (or where applicable, his or her guardian).
Quote from a Volunteer
When I am volunteering at TBRHSC, my goal is to better the lives of those around me by performing small acts of kindness.