Please remember the five simple positive choices (SMARTRISK) that you can make which can potentially prevent you, your family or friends from becoming a trauma patient:
- Buckle up: Always wear your seatbelt! Wearing a seatbelt is the single most effective action you can take to protect yourself and the other passengers in a motor vehicle
- Look first: Stop, think and check out the situation before acting
- Wear the proper safety equipment for the activity you are involved in
- Get trained: Whatever the activity, learn from an expert so you can identify and manage risks
- Drive sober: Don’t drink and drive! Have a plan before you go out!
Here are some safety tips for you and your friends:
- Consuming alcohol and driving a vehicle is illegal for persons under the age of 21
- Do not let friends drink and drive
- Plan ahead-make sure you have a safe plan to get home
- Do not accept any drinks from someone you do not know. If you leave a drink, discard it and get a new one
- Learn the signs of alcohol poisoning and drug intoxication- contact 911 for immediate assistance and treatment
- Remember to charge your cell phone before you go out
- Know where you are and where you are going-keep your parent/guardian informed
- Know where your friends are at all times
- Trust your instincts-remember, If you feel uncomfortable or endangered, don’t do what you were thinking of doing!